Pages

27 August 2008

Ups and Downs

I don't ask for much. Just consistency. If my internet is going to go down, it should go all the way down, not just pick and choose what works, because it doesn't pick the right things!!!

After two full reboots (yes, gents, I unplugged the modem and router and restarted the computer after fully shutting down), it was still not letting me get my all of my emails or open all my tabs in Firefox. Safari wouldn't connect at all. Facebook would work, but not my bank website. Some random article I tabbed would open, but not Dlisted. Blogger was up (yea!), but I couldn't get to a new address no matter which http I typed.

This started at 7:30 this morning before I left for the gym. (Okay, let's stop for a moment and acknowledge that, yes, I am actually at the gym before 8:00 AM, or my usual 8:40, able to throw down an hour and a half of exercise for three days running. This, my friends, is huge. Holla!) I tried the first reboot then. Failure. So I went to the gym with a hint of frustration and had a great workout. Were it not for my desire to become a more mellow, go-with-the-flow individual, I'd hit the weights pissed off every day. I did more reps at a higher poundage than I have for a long time. It was awesome.

Figuring at least that had gone well, surely the internet issue would be resolved by the time I got out of the shower. That was when reboot two went down. Again, some tabs would open but others (the important ones) would not. Safari was still shot. I couldn't get the needed mail from one main account and that annoying "doink" kept doinking, alerting me to what I already knew: It's not effing working.

I had to have this solved before my work day happened. I mean, you can't really work from home and not have your internet fully functioning. Who uses the phone these days? Well, I had to. Internationally, no less. I thought I could be quick and email them before the end of their workdays (hence my pre-gym email check and ire-inspired workout), but needed to get to their websites to contact them. Blackberry can only do so much, especially my moldy ol' device. I really need to upgrade. And that statement goes further than my technology.

An hour and a half later, just as nonsensically as it went down, the internet went up again. Like nothing had happened. No apology or explanation. Typical. I just glared at it, put my hands on my hips and said, "Oh, so now you decide to show up." Then mumbled, "Unreliable SOB." But, at the end of the day, I got to hear some lovely accents, received an email with a line in it that read, "Confirmed by Jesus", even though it was meant to say "Hey Zeus", and can now go to see what Cake Wrecks has in store today.

No comments: