Pages

11 September 2008

Getting Good Head

(Right now, every guy I've ever "known" who has sworn he never reads/will never again read this site has read the title of this post and is thinking, "I bet this is totally about me." No. It's not.)

As I mentioned in a previous post, I treated myself to a new showerhead this week. And, as I mentioned in that post, it's not that kind of showerhead. I have the worst water running through the rustiest pipes that my landlord is too cheap to repair. It's not really what you want to be showering in. It's not exactly good for my hair, or my skin, for that matter. And I was beginning to notice the effect.

Now, the obvious reaction would be, "Well, get off your ass and get a filter, you ding dong." Yeah. I had one for a number of years, operating off the same filter until it was so clogged with what-have-you that water wouldn't come out of the nozzle. (I guess you are supposed to change the filter from time to time...yet another thing on the to-do list.) Since Gelson's, The Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, DSW and CVS don't carry water filters for your shower, several months (cough *two years* cough) passed before I ventured to Bed, Bath & Beyond with a coupon and picked one up.

Yes, I am that lazy/busy/pathetic when it comes to getting the little things done for myself. I'm a writer; what do you want? If I've got free time, I'm writing through it.

This week has turned into a fustercluck proper, and yesterday was the first opportunity I had to enjoy the benefit of filtered shower water at length. There are few daily tasks I look forward to more than the warm baptism of my shower. Sadly, most of them are hurried through in order to beat the clock. But, yesterday, I was determined to take my time. Rather than slapping around the lather of my hand-milled French soap, or shuffling around shampoo I overpay for, I finally got the chance to indulge in the thick rain of the new showerhead. A nice switch from bearing the needle shards of my old one. It was glorious. And it's going to make taking power showers that much harder. I'm going to have a hell of a time being on time for the new job. Damn.

Is there a difference? Yep. My hair is softer and smoother (less flyaways...hate those damn things). And my skin, which was always pretty soft because I slather it in cocoa butter, is even silkier. The filter is also supposed to help keep your shower cleaner (reduces scale), but I guess I'd actually have to clean my shower in order to notice. Hiring a maid is on my to-do list. I'm a writer. If I've got clean time, I'm writing through it.

In case you are curious, I got the Culligan Clear Promise. It's good 'head.

No comments: